This program is not accepting registrations at this time.
Tuesday, December 14, 2021
(9:00 PT / 10:00 MT / 12:00 ET)
$40 for Non-member
Ohio Physical Therapy Association
Evidence Based Practice, Manual Therapy, Pain Science
Physical therapists continue to debate the efficacy and utility of manual therapy in physical therapy practice. There is a myriad of philosophies and paradigms related to the use of manual therapy in the treatment of musculoskeletal conditions. The objective of this course is to review some of the foundational science behind the mechanisms of manual therapy and how with this knowledge, therapists can utilize manual therapy as an effective mode of treatment in a multifaceted and integrative approach to the treatment of musculoskeletal conditions.
Upon completion of the course, the attendee will be able to:
1. Understand the complex mechanisms of manual therapy and its role in musculoskeletal pain management.
2. Explain the mechanisms of manual therapy and its role in symptom management to patients in a clinical setting.
3. Utilize his/her understanding of the mechanisms of manual therapy to guide the utilization of various manual therapy techniques as a part of comprehensive patient care in an outpatient orthopaedic setting.
A. Manual Therapy: A Brief History and Tale of Evolution (10 minutes)
B. What Manual Therapy is and What Manual Therapy Isn’t (15 minutes)
1. Structural/Pathoanatomical Focus
2. Important Neurophysiological and Psychosocial components
a. Therapeutic Alliance
C. Manual Therapy as a Component in Multi-Faceted physical therapy care (15 minutes)
1. Background/Personal Perspective
a. No singular philosophy
b. Pain Modulation/Patient response
c. Priming the system for movement and loading
2. Key Components to using Manual Therapy as a tool in a Multi-Faceted approach
a. Explanation to the patient
b. Clear goal for use
a1. Big picture
D. Foundational Concepts in the Administration of Manual Therapy (10minutes)
1. Determining when appropriate and not appropriate
2. The role of your hands
a. Reducing threat
b. Promoting de-sensitization
E. Question and Answer/Discussion (10 minutes)
If applicable, you may obtain credit in multiple jurisdictions simultaneously for this program (see pending/approved list below). Registrants in jurisdictions not listed below will receive a Certificate of Attendance/Completion that may or may not meet credit requirements in other jurisdictions. Where applicable, credit will be only awarded to a paid registrant attending the live program at their own computer and phone.
Click on jurisdiction for specific details:
How to Attend
Join the live program from your office, home, or hotel room using a computer with high speed internet. You may ask questions, participate in surveys, and post comments from your computer during the program. Please note that credit (if available) is only provided to registered attendees participating at their own computer and phone. Simple instructions with a link to the program will be sent when you register and again the day before the webinar.