Register now for immediate access to this program.Register Now
$40 for Non-member
January 12, 2021
Ohio Physical Therapy Association
Adaptive Athlete, Field Testing, Fitness, Wheelchair
As adaptive sport and recreation gain more visibility in society and prevention, health promotion, and wellness become pillars of the physical therapy professions, it is vital that therapists are aware of methods for assessing the fitness and performance of wheelchair users and wheelchair athletes. This webinar will provide a brief background of wheelchair sports and classification, including common impairments and disabilities. It will review components of fitness for abled-bodied individuals and compare modified tests for wheelchair athletes. Finally, it will introduce a variety of assessments aimed at testing the different components of fitness for wheelchair users and provide video examples and resources so participants will gain confidence in working with wheelchair athletes in their clinics and communities.
Upon completion of this course, the attendee will:
- Understand the role of the physical therapy professionals and students in prevention, health promotion, and wellness when working with individuals with disabilities and adaptive athletes.
- Identify disability and impairments typically seen in different wheelchair sports and the physiological demands of each sport.
- Identify multiple valid and reliable field-based tests used to evaluate different components of fitness and performance for wheelchair users and wheelchair athletes while considering the impact of various impairments on performance
- Basic background on wheelchair sports and classification
- Review of fitness testing for the general population, geared toward wheelchair users
- Explanation with video demonstrations of different fitness tests, including available norms, resources
Program Titles and Supporting Materials
This program contains the following components:
If applicable, you may obtain credit in multiple jurisdictions simultaneously for this program (see pending/approved list below). If electing credit for this program, registrants in jurisdictions not listed below will receive a Certificate of Completion that may or may not meet credit requirements in other jurisdictions. Where applicable, credit will be only awarded to a paid registrant completing all the requirements of the program as determined by the selected accreditation authority.
Click on jurisdiction for specific details:
How to Attend
Join the self-paced program from your office, home, or hotel room using a computer and high speed internet connection. You may start and stop the program at your convenience, continue where you left off, and review supporting materials as often as you like. Please note: Internet Explorer is no longer a supported browser. We recommend using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Safari for best results.
You may access this course on a computer or mobile device with high speed internet (iPhones require iOS 10 or higher). Recommended browsers are Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.